Thursday 12 September 2013

Sweden / Austria / Germany September 2013


Friday August 30, Göteborg, SwedenSpent half an hour looking for a Pat Conte record. Eventually found it and stuck it on as the ships rolled into the harbour. Its called ‘Folk Music Of The United States’. Issued on red vinyl by Jalopy Records its a good start to the day. Pats also responsible for compiling ‘The Secret Museum Of Mankind Vol. 1, Ethnic Music Classics: 1925-48’. Far-out tracks from his personal collection of obscure 78’s from Ceylon, Poland, Abyssinia, Andalucia, Rajahstan, Fiji, South Africa and so on. First time I met Pat was a few months ago on Columbia Street in Brooklyn NYC.  His car pulled up to the kerb and Jack shouted over “ Hey Pat”. I went over to say ‘hello’ to this man I’d heard so much about. The car was full of smoke. I assumed they were smoking gigantic spliffs, but no, it was sweet smelling Nag Champa incense that clouded the old Buick. Billows of the stuff. He burns it everywhere he goes creating his own world of smoke/mist/fog and great music.

 

Windows wide open - the far away rumble of traffic, it was hot and humid. Fizzy drink in mind, I stuck to soda water. Put on the Stones ‘Out of Time’ but it sounded muddy. This was from the Rolled Gold compilation. But I was used to hearing a version from a Russian pressing I had aquired about 10 years back. Dug that one out and I was right, the old cold war era pressing was surprisingly better, maybe even an alternative mix. Probably a bootleg as well. The doorbell rang and the Nikki Sudden  6 CD box-set arrived. Looks great and it’s full of obscure stuff as well as some of his better known songs. Im to be found on one track playing guitar and harmonica. Later on it seemed appropriate to try and remix a version of Nikki’s ‘Death Is Hanging Over Me’.

 

Sunday September 1, Salzburg, Austria – They played The Lemonheads as we boarded the plane to Berlin. The flight attendants wore tight ass enchancing jeans as they dished out the water and fruit juice in a swift and cautiously friendly manner. We plebs had a choice of snack. Salty or sweet. I had neither. A heavy downpour of rain greeted our arrival in to Tegel. But in Salzburg it was drizzling and humid. Played the gig and had an early night.

 

 

Monday September 2, Salzburg, Austria – Flags hanging on their poles, the bustle of the tourist town. People looking lost, some looking for adventure. On a ramble through the old city I discovered elaborate tombstones, magnificent metal crosses worthy of a place in an art museum. Church spires, horse drawn carraiges. So many people looking down into the abyss of the internet on their i-phones/smart phones/stupid phones. Who am I to judge. I had to get wifi sorted and once I did I discovered Im going to be on Frank Vranchx’s show on Radio Centraal in Belgium in a few days.

 

Played the gig and met top attorney and big time music fan W. Scott Wallace and his wife from Dallas, Tx. They bought CDs and invited me to their home town for a show and I will in due course put some effort into making that happen. 

 
Tuesday September 3, Munich, Germany – Off through Badendorf, Rosenheim, Grafink Bahnhof and arrived into Mucich. Navigated the S Bahn and found the bar at Marianplatz. Chatted to Tigue, a young Irish chao currently working in a fancy nancy Michelin hotel up the street. Its his third day. Met Mick (from Dublin) and Karen (from Deutschland) who had received an email from Brian in someplace in darkest Ireland saying to go check out my gig. So they did. They even had a list of songs I should play...’Down Into Hell’ ‘Nowhere Fast’ and ‘Tell Old Bill’. I played them all and got a bed for the night as well. Thanks Mick and Karen.

No comments:

Post a Comment